Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Great Purgation


     Greetings, O readers! It's been a very long time since I've posted aught, and I don't promise to post again soon, knowing myself far too well.
     Today, however, I do have something to say; so-- lend me thine ears and let them be fillled with the golden nuggets of wisdom about to pour forth from my mouth. . . or fingers.
     I have had a revelation and have decided to take the plunge and purge my closet of stuff that doesn't fit, stuff that's too worn out, and stuff I haven't worn in a year because I jolly well didn't want to. I have decided to become a smarter shopper.

#1 -- If you don't like it, don't buy it. Unless you have a good reason to be buying something that you are merely contented with, DON'T. "I need it." If you don't like it, do you need it? If you don't like it, will you really wear it? Why?  (Obviously, "because my job requires I wear these hideous non-slip sneakers" is a good reason. I mean, you ought to try to find not-so-hideous non-slip sneakers if you can, but as a waitress, I know that such is not always possible.)

#2 -- If it doesn't fit, don't buy it. Not unless you really are a seamstress and you really will fix the item in such and such a way in a reasonable amount of time. If you like it, but it doesn't fit you, it'll be less comfortable, and you'll loathe wearing it. When you do, you'll be more self-conscious than is pleasant to be.

#3 -- The Monk Method of Shopping. Reference to the TV show. Monk has about a dozen of the same exact suits, shoes, shirts, you name it. He found what he liked, and he bought a bunch so that he wouldn't have to worry about looking for new clothes all over again. I have not really been a fan of this. I've done it with socks, jeans, and underwear, and other such items, but even that can be pushing it. Tastes and styles change. Unless your tastes have been exactly the same for the past ten years, I don't reccommend doing this. And even then.......

#4 -- Limiting yourself to the same stores and styles can also be boring.

#5 -- Along the lines of what I've already said, here's an exercise: what sorts of clothes do you admire on other women? 50's? Traditional Thai? Military? Do you like these ensembles enough to mimick them in your own dress? I'm not saying that a blonde girl should wear an authentic kimono every day, but if you like Japanese clothing that much, there are plenty of Asian-inspired tops and accessories out there. The clothing should reflect the person.

     And there's my rant for today. Forgive any errors in sentence structure or whatever. I know if I aspire to proofread this, I'll never actually publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment