Monday, July 18, 2011

All About Shapes

     There are a number of factors that go into figuring out what looks good on you. These are skin tone, face shape, hair and eye color, age, height, and body type/shape. Shape is one of the big reasons why a given piece will look great on one girl, while it looks terrible on another. Following the basic rules for your shape will help make it easier for you to look your very best at all times.

     There are a basic body shapes are as follows.

     Pear: The largest part of your body is your hips. The good news is that you don't have to worry very much about exposing cleavage, and that you can wear very bright and decorated blouses.




     Strawberry: You are the exact opposite of the pear, as your chest is the most prominent part of your torso. The good news for you is that you're not concerned about your hips; therefore, you can wear bias-cut skirts.


     Apple: If you are an apple, you have a larger mid-section. However, you can also wear bias-cut skirts, as well as empire waisted dresses (something not many women can wear).


     Hourglass: This is the what many people call the "perfect" shape; however, that doesn't mean everything looks great on you. (Sorry, girls. Nobody can wear everything well. :-) )


     Rectangle: Rectangles were very much the fashion in the 1920's. They are women with boyish bodies; that is to say, they are slender with few curves. The good news is that you aren't the least bit concerned with trying to look smaller, whether on the top or on the bottom.


Mary Pickford, Actress
       So, the first step is to figure out which shape you are. Next step will be coming along, as I go into the details of what each shape should and shouldn't wear in order to look amazing.

7 comments:

  1. I think I'm a rectangle - I'm looking forward to advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the truth is I'm short and so I'm having a hard time figuring this out, but I guess I'm probably not a rectangle. :( I'm either a pear or an hourglass. I love your tips for pears - they fit me to a T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's sometimes hard to figure out what you are. Some people are "in between shapes," as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I can wear baggy shirts - does that make me an hourglass???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm... I really don't know. What do you mean when you say that you can wear them? Do you mean you can get away with it? I also don't know how baggy you mean. 'Tis hard to say... I'll have to get back to you and try to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In your tips for pears, you said not to wear baggy shirts. Generally I don't for fear of erasing my curves and looking just "big". I usually stick to close-fitting shirts, but when I do wear baggy shirts (of many kinds), the baggy shirt rather works with my curves, you see, instead of nullifying them. So I was just wondering if that meant I wasn't a pear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now I just HAVE to solve this. Send me an e-mail and we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete